Reuters reports today that the Indian economic growth slowed to 6.1% in the three months ending in December, the weakest annual pace in almost three years, as high interest rates and rising raw material costs constrained investment and manufacturing.
"The dismal numbers are certain to intensify pressure on the authorities to stimulate the flagging economy and they render official forecasts for 6.9 percent growth in the financial year ending in March as optimistic.
Yet economists doubt much stimulus will be forthcoming as a fiscally constrained government focuses on finding money for fuel and food subsidies to win votes and rising oil prices urge caution at the central bank over cutting rates too quickly.
The 6.1 percent rise in gross domestic product in October to December was lower than the consensus view in a Reuters poll of 6.4 percent, the official data showed.
That marked a sharp pullback from 6.9 percent growth in July to September and was the seventh successive quarterly slowdown, providing a gloomy backdrop for a central bank policy meeting and federal budget, both due in just over two weeks".
Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Posted by The Shocked Investor at 7:02 AM
- Brazil Registers Huge Primary Surplus
- Indian Economy Slows To Weakest in 3 Years
- Free Money Festival: European Banks Take In New Re...
- ERJ, Embraer, Enters Top 100 In The World
- Spain Says It Would Be Suicidal To Slash GDP As De...
- China Has Outsourced Its Monetary Policy to Ben Be...
- Following UNG's New Kiss of Death, a Very Ugly Nat...
- EU Now Says Eurozone Will Contract in 2012
- Chile: The Star Faces Hurdles; Major Earthquake, S...
- Brazil's PC Market is Third Largest in the World
- Royal Bank of Canada Threatened With Downgrade, Pl...
- The Seven Deadly Sins of Investors
- Moody's Downgrades European Countries: Spain, Ital...
- Apple: The Half a Trillion Dollar Company
- Fraud: Security Flow Allows Major Transportation T...
- Greek Leaders Fail to Agree To Terms
- Canada: Highest Population Growth In G-8
- BLS Labour Surge or Labour Headache? How About Usi...
- Simply Crazy: Bailout Funds Must Be Used by Greece...
- European Debt Is Not Manageable Until 2030; Rises ...
- Unemployment Numbers, Youth Unemployment In Crisis...
- ▼ February (21)
- ► 2011 (510)
- ► 2010 (1051)
- ► 2009 (843)
- ► 2008 (59)