Following on the theme of world currencies, we have stated here many times that we believe the US (and other countries debt of trillions of dollars been created recently will never be repaid unless theirs currencies are devalued. This may happen gradually, but perhaps also suddenly, catching all the poor investors dead with their money in money markets. We commented several times on shifting to the Brazilian Real and countries that produce real goods.
Here are the performances of several world currencies vs. the USD in the last 3 months and year-to-date, measured by their corresponding ETFs:
(please click to enlarge).
BZF is the Brazilian Real, up 35% year-to-date. The current exchange rate is now 1.80! It was 2.30 not long ago. Is 35% a "crash"? That may be subjective, but for sure, you would not want to have been invested in USD during this time. The US stock market having gone up during this time is another illusion, interestingly, very similar to what happened during 2007 when the markets were going crazy (and things were actually disintegrating behind the scenes). We know how this ended.
The Brazilian market having gone up an additional 40% YTD, now that is real gain, no pun intended.
Next up was the Australian dollar, up almost 20%, and also the New Zealand dollar.
The other currencies listed are:
FXA: Australian dollar
FXB: British Pound
FXC: Canadian dollar
FXY: Japanese Yen
FXM: Mexican peso
FXS: Swedish Krona
BZF: Brazilian Real
CYB: Chinese Yuan
ICN: Indian Rupee
BNZ: New Zealand dollar
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Posted by The Shocked Investor at 6:44 AM
- ► 2011 (510)
- ► 2010 (1051)
- Natural Gas Production Still Increasing
- US Open, a Money-Making Machine: $450M for New Yor...
- S&P500: The Top 20 Stocks to Sell
- Timothy Geithner Digged
- The Latest Top Bank Failures in The U.S.
- Natural Gas Report: Storage Overflow Likely in Oct...
- Iron Ore: Tata Steel Says Global Slowdown Continue...
- The GDP Q2 1% Drop: Fact, Fiction, or Spin?
- Quantitative Easing Coming Near You: the Devaluati...
- Berinyi vs Roubini: Damned if They Do, Damned if T...
- Gas.to Straddles for October and November
- Advisory Warning: Natural Gas to Fall Below $1
- Bernanke Says He Saved the World, But Millions Go ...
- S&P500 vs SPY: Beware, Two Different Measures
- The Fed Loses Case and Must Disclose Who It Loaned...
- S&P500 Report: 132 Overbought, Only 1 Oversold
- Quest Uranium, Ring of Fire
- The Illusion of Market Gains in the U.S.
- Natural Gas: UNG vs Gas.to
- Natural Gas Weekly Report Aug. 20: Situation Remai...
- SEC Warns Against Leveraged ETFs: Where Have They ...
- Index ETF, Oil, and Natural Gas Options and Stradd...
- Why Canadian Banks Did Better in the 2008 Financia...
- StraddlesCalc Tool is Online, UCO and UNG Straddle...
- Naural Gas: Gas.to October and December Options ar...
- Natural Gas on the Radar Screen
- Natural Gas and Hurricanes
- S&P500 Report: 59 Overbought, 15 Oversold
- Top 20 Stocks to Short in the S&P500 by RS7 and RS...
- Natural Gas Report: 10 Weeks to Overflow
- EWZ Vastly Outperforming SPX: +72% vs +10%
- Currencies: The Crash of the USD, USD Down 35% YTD...
- S&P500 P/E is Now 47.50
- S&P500 RSI Report: 192 Overbought Companies, Only ...
- ▼ August (34)
- ► 2008 (59)