Monday, September 20, 2010

Brazil Surpasses 189M Cell Phone Subscribers, 97.96% of Population

Brazilians activated 2.41 million cellular lines in August, causing the number of mobile phones to surpass 189 million subscribers.

The data is from the National Telecommunications Agency (Anatel), which reported that, with this level, Brazil has reached the density of 97.96 per 100 residents, a growth of 1.17% over the previous month. According to the agency, considering the number of new lines in the first eight months of 2010, the customer base is second only to the same period in 2008.

Of total cellular assets in August, 155.7 million (82.20%) are prepaid. The remaining 33.72 million (17.80%), post-paid. Vivo continues to lead the market with 57.26 million customers, or 30.23% stake.

In second position appears Claro (25.43%), followed by TIM (24.25%) and Hi (19.74%). CTBC has 0.3%, Sercomtel 0.04% and 0.01% Unicel.

We track all Brazilian telco providers that trade in new York live here. Vivo trades as VIV (click to receive buy/sell alerts) and is up 50% since Jan 2009.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Financial TV

Blog Archive

// adding Google analytics