The Samsung Galaxy
Korea's Samsung and Japan's Toshiba have unveiled their tablet PCs, taking on the challenge on Apple's iPad. Both products offer several advantages over the iPad, chief of them been not forcing their users to buy apps from Apple.
- iPad: 9.56 x 7.47 in width x 0.5 inches, weighs 1.5 lbs (680 grams)
- Galaxy: 7.84 X 4.74 X 0.47 inches, weighs mere 380 grams.
- Toshiba Folio 100: 181 x 281 x 14 mm, weighs 760 grams.
- iPad: 9.7-inch LCD colour screen, uses iPhone's multi-touch technology
- Galaxy: 7-inch TFT LCD display, screen resolution of 1024 by 600 pixels.
- Toshiba Folio 100: 10.1-inch display, the device has a multitouch screen, resolution of 1,024 x 600 pixels.
- iPad: no camer
- Galaxy: 3.2 megapixel rear-facing camera and a 1.3 megapixel front facing camera.
- Toshiba Folio 100: 1.3 megapixel camera.
- iPad: no support for Flash.
- Galaxy: supports Adobe Flash
- Toshiba Folio 100: supports Adobe Flash
- iPad: WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity and GPS.
- Galaxy: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and 3G cell phone networks.
- Toshiba Folio 100: WiFi and Bluetooth 2.1, 3G version soon
- iPad: may use 140,000 iPhone apps, downloaded only from Apple's AppStore. iPad doesn’t allow users to download any apps other than from the App Store.
- Galaxy: users may access to Android Market in addition to non-Market apps.
- Toshiba Folio 100: maydownload apps from Toshiba App Place.
- iPad: battery life of up to 10 hours, standby time approximately a1 month.
- Galaxy: It promises upto 7 hours of video playback.
- Toshiba Folio 100: up to 7 hours of Web browsing.
The most attractive device here appears to be the Samsung Galaxy. Time will tell.