Some investors were cheering this week the "eclipse" of FAS and FAZ, the infamous 3X leveraged financial ETFs by Direxion. The "eclipse" was the moment in which both ETFs would have the same nominal price. This occurred at least three times this week, on Monday, around $9.55:
(Please click on images to enlarge).
While both ETFs were at $9.55, today one is at around $9.32, the other one at $9.01, i.e, declines of 5.6% and 2.4%! Both have lost even more value this week since the "eclipse". This is clearly seen on a combined comparison chart, where one is up 18% and the other down 32%:
Keep in mind that FAZ started its life at $120, and FAS at $20! Where has all this money gone?
These ETFs have been traded for 101 days (since inception), given them an average daily loss of 2.5% and 0.8%. If these rates of decline were to continue, FAZ will be trading below $1 in 88 days, and FAS in 280 days.
The combined losses in market valuation on FAS and FAZ is a staggering $4.4B since inception:
This can be seen live at the FAZ-FAS Loss-O-Meter tracking site.
The same fund manager has recently launched four new 3X leveraged ETFs, this time for leveraged income funds. They are certainly tremendous money making vehicles for someone, but certainly not for the mom & pop investors in them.
Friday, April 17, 2009
Posted by The Shocked Investor at 3:15 AM
- ► 2011 (510)
- ► 2010 (1051)
- Performance of HAX Actively Managed ETF
- Earnings Straddles Update
- FAS FAZ Banging Again
- US GDP Q1 2009 Is Just an Advanced Release, to be ...
- Under Armour Shares Rise on Earnings
- S&P500 Most Oversold and Most Overbought Companies...
- Daily MultiPeriod Performance of Leveraged ETFs
- FAS-FAZ Eclipse Update
- Straddles Update April 24
- Stock Paired Performance Tool Released
- The Next FAS-FAZ Eclipse
- Zenn Motor Update (ZNN), EEstor Announces Results...
- Straddles April 23, Amazon
- Natural Gas Inventories
- S&P500 Most Overbought and Most Oversold Companies...
- World GDP Growth for 2009 and 2010
- Leveraged ETFs Performance Since Inception
- Straddles Update April 21
- US Treasury on The Bank Stress Tests
- S&P 500 Most Oversold and Overbought Stocks, April...
- Straddles Update
- UCO Straddles for May
- The Citibank Arbitrage: Extreme Number of Options ...
- Straddles for The Week April 20-24 (Optimal Sizing...
- S&P 500 Most Oversold and Overbought Stocks By RSI...
- The Great FAS and FAZ Loss
- Dennis Gartman on BNN: Short Gold
- Earnings Calendar for the Week April 20 to April 2...
- New Citibank Straddles
- S&P 500 PE Tracker
- USO Rollover Report for April
- Cheapest Stocks in the S&P 500 by P/E
- Citibank Straddles and Strangles
- UCO Down Sharply , USO Rollover Ends today, Stradd...
- GM and The Easter Bunny
- Straddles for the Week April 13 - April 17 (optima...
- Natural Gas Inventories Touching 5 year Top of Cha...
- Upcoming Earnings Straddles
- A Night With The Bears - Part II, Roubini says No ...
- A Night With the Bears
- Performance of XLF vs SKF, UYG, FAS, FAZ
- Stock Correlation Tool Released
- USO Rollover
- Alcoa Strangle
- Gold and Silver Straddles Update
- Straddles for the Week April 5-April 9
- Brazil Will Loan To the IMF
- UCO Straddles April 2
- Natural Gas Update
- USO Rollover for April
- FAS FAZ Live Loss-O-Meter
- Quotes from Mark Carney
- Performance of Direxion Leveraged ETFs
- ▼ April (53)
- ► 2008 (59)